Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tasty Thursday ...

Morning!

Operation: Bikini Season 2014 is nicely underway. I love the My Fitness Pal app! Sure, I have to take the time to actually input stuff but it saves my foods and workouts so each time I open the app, I'm halfway done. Are you using My Fitness Pal? I have it on my cell and on iPad - love it!

There is a recipe section so you can create a meal and then have it portioned out for one touch entering. I'm sure the rest of the free world knew such technology was out there but it's new to me. I'm more conscious of what I eat (when the glaring pie chart tells me today was a little carb heavy or not enough fat) and the impact my meager little workouts have - I've lost 5.6 pounds over the last few weeks - not too shabby for sharing a Hersheys bar with my toddler yesterday.

Pinterest has also really gotten me motivated too - fun workout ideas (different strength workouts based on what commercial is on! Genius!) - mantras and encouraging quotes - and recipes and meal ideas (which brings me to today's post).  At Trader Joe's yesterday, I picked up TriColored Quinoa. It was so pretty and I thought it would be perfect for my first adventure into the seed.

I had a few staples on hand and concocted this tasty meal -
1 cup TriColored Quinoa
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked ground turkey

I made the quinoa as directed but used stock instead of water and added the frozen pea to have them cook together. In hindsight, I would add them just before the quinoa is finished rather than have them in the pan the whole time. I cooked the lean ground turkey separately with just spices to taste. When the quinoa and peas were finished, I added 2 cups of turkey to the pan and viola!

According to My Fitness Pal, it's pretty good for you ...


For dinner, I kind of expanded the concept. I put half a cup of quinoa mixture into half of a whole wheat pita with romaine lettuce and some avocado. It was quite yummy! Apologies for the lack of photos - I was too hungry. You understand.

What are you eating today? Have a good one ...


2 comments:

  1. LOL -- "I was too hungry". Well done, sounds fabulous. I bought my husband and myself Fitbits for his birthday in March. It's a tiny little thing that tells you exactly how active I've been and I can go online and record food intake. Definitely makes me much more aware and we are competitive enough, we're always trying to outdo one another in activity. The first couple of days I couldn't understand why he kept bringing me stuff. A cup of tea (so sweet), a small plate of pears and walnuts an hour or so later (mmm, yum), then a piece of mail that came....hey wait a minute! My office is on the third floor -- he was trying to get in more stairs then me!!

    ReplyDelete